This cupcake recipe us right up my alley. It’s basically a white cake mix doctored up a bit to have a hint of lemon taste. The frosting uses pink lemonade concentrate to thin it instead of water or milk. The end result is a surprising “wow” flavor you don’t expect.
As I’ve said before, frosting is a matter of taste. Some people like it with more shortening, some more sugary. It’s the kind of recipe you can add ingredients to, to get just the right formula.
They are the perfect summer cupcake, easy to make, and the flavor screams summer!
- 1 box white cake mix & ingredients called for on box
- frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 lb. confectioners sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp shortening
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- In an electric mixer, put dry cake mix, eggs, oil, and replace half of the water required with lemonade concentrate.
- Add lemon zest.
- Mix according to package directions. Fill cupcake pans to almost full, and bake as directed.
- For frosting:
- Using electric mixer, add confectioners sugar and shortening to mixer bowl; mix until incorporated. Add lemon extract. Then add thawed pink lemonade concentrate to desired consistency. (You may want to start off slow, the frosting can get pretty sour if using too much off the concentrate). You can always adjust by putting more confectioners sugar and water in).