I got the inspiration for these cupcakes from the Bakers Royale site. Naomi has some phenomenal recipes on her site, I’m sure this will not be the last I make.
Firstly, the recipe calls for a home made chocolate cupcake recipe. As I very often do, I made a boxed cake mix for the cupcakes, as time was of the essence. Naomi put a coating of frosting first, then dipped in melted chocolate, then frosted with a caramel frosting. That got me thinking, being the caramel lover that I am, I wanted to have a light layer of caramel, a layer of melted chocolate with the heath bar crunch around the edges, and then top with a little caramel frosting. I decided a white or yellow cupcake would compliment the caramel better than the chocolate.
I started by baking some yellow, or golden vanilla cupcakes.
Then I made the caramel for the first layer. I put the cupcakes in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes while getting the melted chocolate underway. Then I dipped the cupcakes in to the chocolate and edged with the Heath Bar crunch. I then put them in to fridge to frost a little later. If you want them right away, Put them back in to the freezer just to harden slightly, and then pipe the caramel frosting on the very top of the cupcakes. I wouldn’t go crazy with the frosting, as there’s quite a lot of sugar on the tops of the cupcakes at this point. The cupcake wrappers are pretty gooey as the caramel and chocolate may dribble down the sides, but that’s what makes them look so yummy!Print
Who says cupcakes from a cake mix can’t be over the top? These are sinfully delicious!
- 1 – Yellow, French Vanilla or Golden Yellow prepared cake mix, and ingredients as described on box
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 c. evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1–1/3 c. dark chocolate
- 4 Tbsp heavy cream
- 8 Tbsp sifted confectioners sugar
- 2–4 Tbsp water, warm
- 1 pkg Heath Bar bits
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 c. heavy cream, plus more as necessary
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 16-ounce box confectioner’s sugar
- Bake cupcakes from cake mix as directed.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugars, butter and milk over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes stirring constantly. Add vanilla. I after cooling slightly, mixture seems too thick for dipping cupcakes, add a little evaporated milk to thin.
- Dip cooled cupcakes into caramel mixture.
- Put in to freezer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until caramel is cooled.
- While cupcakes are in the freezer, make melted chocolate.
- Place chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl over simmering water. Let chocolate and cream sit for 2-3 minutes to melt without stirring. Then slowly stir mixture to combine. Add powdered sugar and mix to combine. Add water one tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition until pouring consistency is reached. Set aside and let sauce cool to warm.
- Dip cupcakes in to melted chocolate and then rim with Heath bar bits. Place in the refrigerator until chocolate is set.
- For frosting, melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar and cream. Cook over medium-low heat for about 2 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. If frosting is too thick, add 1 tablespoon heavy cream at a time until consistency is right.
- Pipe frosting on tops of cupcakes. Dust with remaining Heath bar bits.
The yield of cupcakes from boxed cake mixes seem to average about 16-18 these days. Gone are the days you get 24 cupcakes!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins