I’ve been making these great mushrooms for years now and have never measured any of the ingredients when making it. My sister in law used to make these all the time. It’s the kind of recipe you just throw ingredients in and taste. For the sake of posting this recipe, I’ve approximated the measurements of each ingredient. At the end of mixing the stuffing, if you find the mixture is too loose, just add more crushed cracker crumbs. If its too dry, add more butter or Worcestershire sauce and cooking sherry. If you want the mixture more chunky, don’t process as much. Keep tasting until it suits your taste (or you are full, whichever comes first!).
For ease in filling these, I use a #100 ice cream scoop to fill mushroom caps. Plus, they look pretty with a nice neat rounded top!Print
These stuffed, meaty mushrooms are deliciously filled with a savory filling.
- 12 very large stuffing mushrooms, stems removed
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled
- 3 stalks celery hearts, cut into 3” pieces
- 3/4 c. walnuts
- 6–8 mushroom stems
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp. cooking sherry
- 2 tsp. Worcheshire sauce
- 1 stack butter crackers, crushed
- Clean and remove stems from mushroom caps. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the onion, celery, mushroom stems and walnuts. Process until all ingredients are chopped very finely. Take mixture out of processor bowl and put into microwave safe bowl.
- Add butter to mixture and microwave on high approx. 3-4 minutes or until butter is melted and mixture is clear.
- While mixture is cooking, crushed crackers in a ziploc bag (I use a rolling pin).
- Add cracker crumbs, Worcestershire, and cooking sherry to stuffing mixture and incorporate fully. Taste mixture to adjust flavor.
- Place mushroom caps on a piece of non-stick aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Scoop mixture in to mushroom caps in to a mound.
- Bake at 375° F for approx 20-25 minutes (baking time will depend on how big the mushrooms are).
- Category: Appetizer