I’m not sure which cookbook I got this recipe from years ago, but no matter who tries it, they love it! It’s one of those warm comfort foods that you’ll just make over and over again! Even though the sauce is made with heavy cream, it seems very light. Its not that heavy, gooey sauce you see a lot of, just a very tasty light cream sauce. You’ll make this over, and over again!
|Ziti and Broccoli in Garlic Cream Sauce||
- 1 lb. broccoli florets
- 8 to 10 oz. ziti
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c. white wine
- 1-1/2 c. heavy cream, slightly warmed
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 c. really good grated Parmesan cheese (more or less to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 8 c. water to boiling in large pot. Blanch broccoli in boiling water until just tender and bright green. Take out of water with a slotted spoon and put into a colander and rinse under very cold water to stop cooking process. Set aside.
- Bring water in pan back to a boil and cook ziti for 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add the garlic and cook only until fragrant (about a minute or two). Do not brown (if it does get brown, throw out and start again. Burnt garlic will ruin any recipe). Add the wine, and reduce for 1 minute or so until reduced to about 1 tablespoon. Warm cream in microwave slightly and add cream (if you add very cold cream you run the risk of it curdling when adding to the hot mixture). Increase the heat to moderately high and bring to the boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes, until the cream thickens and is reduced by a third.
- Put the ziti and broccoli in a large shallow pasta serving bowl. Add the sauce, scallions, red pepper and Parmesan cheese and mix together. Season with salt & pepper.
This is a great main dish or side dish. The garlic cream is exactly that. A light, tasty, creamy sauce that compliments the vegetables in the dish, unlike the heavy alfredo type sauce you so often see. Also great for leftovers. Just add a little more cream and cheese when reheating.