This is a wonderful pasta and veggie dish with an extremely light and tasty garlic cream sauce.
- 1 lb. broccoli florets
- 8 to 10 oz. ziti
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c. white wine
- 1–1/2 c. heavy cream, slightly warmed
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 c. really good grated Parmesan cheese (more or less to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 8 c. water to boiling in large pot. Blanch broccoli in boiling water until just tender and bright green. Take out of water with a slotted spoon and put into a colander and rinse under very cold water to stop cooking process. Set aside.
- Bring water in pan back to a boil and cook ziti for 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add the garlic and cook only until fragrant (about a minute or two). Do not brown (if it does get brown, throw out and start again. Burnt garlic will ruin any recipe). Add the wine, and reduce for 1 minute or so until reduced to about 1 tablespoon. Warm cream in microwave slightly and add cream (if you add very cold cream you run the risk of it curdling when adding to the hot mixture). Increase the heat to moderately high and bring to the boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes, until the cream thickens and is reduced by a third.
- Put the ziti and broccoli in a large shallow pasta serving bowl. Add the sauce, scallions, red pepper and Parmesan cheese and mix together. Season with salt & pepper.