Wow, wow, wow, wow, is all I have to say! This super easy to prepare Skillet Penne with Chicken & Broccoli from Cooks Country, is a one skillet dish, and is “power packed” with flavor. You are not going to believe it! You don’t need the heavy cream sauce to really feel the “comfort and taste” in this comfort food! Delicious even when heated up, your family will love this recipe!
This recipe is “power packed” with flavor!
Just brown the chicken, (either in pieces as the recipe states; or a half chicken breast browned, then sliced afterwards), then set it aside while you sauté aromatics and built the sauce. Chicken broth and water, with a pile of fresh minced garlic (not from the jar), red pepper flakes, and white wine, forms the base of the sauce and provides enough liquid for the pasta, and leaving the pan uncovered allows the flavors to intensify as the sauce reduces. For bright green yet tender broccoli, we add it to the pan when the pasta is almost ready. Parmesan cheese (preferably freshly grated), adds creaminess and rich, savory flavor.
This dish is easy enough for the beginner cook, but your guests will never guess!
This recipe is a keeper. I make it with wheat pasta to make it healthier. Note: If you do use wheat Penne, I would add a little more chicken broth and water , as it seemed the pasta needed a little more cooking time than regular pasta. Any pasta you use, this dish is something you will definitely want to make over and over!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and sliced thin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces (2 1/2 cups) penne pasta
- 8 ounces broccoli florets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup), plus extra for serving
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add chicken in single layer and cook, without stirring, until beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Stir chicken and continue to cook until nearly cooked through, about 2 minutes; transfer to bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to now-empty skillet and heat over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, pepper flakes, and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in wine and simmer until nearly evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in water, broth, and penne. Increase heat to medium-high and cook at vigorous simmer, stirring often, until penne is nearly tender, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and cook until penne and broccoli are tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, along with any accumulated juice, and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons oil and Parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, passing extra Parmesan separately.