The last conversation I had with my Aunt Grace was about Wild Blueberries, and how she had a huge box of them in her freezer that she wasn’t using, and that she was going to give them to me. That Sunday, I had made this Blueberry Coffee Cake for church, and she loved it.
She never got to do any of that because she died the next day. Some would say (like me), it’s better if you don’t know it’s your time to go ahead of time. Then others, would want to put their life in order. Either way, the end result is the same, a terrible loss. She’s been gone for quite a few years…it’s funny how time passes whether you like it or not.
I have loads of memories with my Aunt Grace in them. My mom, aunts, and cousins do a lot of things together, and we have quite a few memories to look back on. Summer’s at Aunt Grace’s beach cottage, vacations at the lake, snowmobiling, church tea’s on my front porch, her visiting our house at the lake in Maine, weekend shopping trips to No. Conway and Freeport, the list goes on…
Thank God for memories. However, no matter how many memories, there is nothing like hugging your loved one. Don’t take one minute for granted. You can never get those moments back.
This Blueberry Coffee Cake is for Aunt Grace. Every time I make it, I feel closer to her, and am sure she’s looking down enjoying it, every bit as much as I do.Print
- 2 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. butter, at room temperature
- 1 c. milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1–1/2 c. frozen wild blueberries
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1–1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 X 9 pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter, with pastry blender, to coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center.
- Add milk, eggs and vanilla. Stir until moistened.
- Fold in frozen blueberries that have been coated with a little flour.
- Spread batter in pan.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake 45 min or until a cake tester poked in the middle comes out clean.
- Category: Breakfast