Some people call them “Whoopie Pies”, I call them “Black Moons”. Either way I like my Grandma’s version the best. Chocolate moist cake with rich and creamy marshmallow fluff based filling. I remember my grandma every time I make them. These are truly “comfort food” to me!
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. soda
- ½ c. Crisco shortening
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 c. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ c. cocoa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder & soda together and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, blend shortening and sugar until blended. Add egg. Beat in milk and vanilla.
- Add sifted flour mixture. Add cocoa and mix completely.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 6-7 minutes.
- ¾ c. Crisco shortening
- ½ c. marshmallow fluff
- 1 c. confectioners sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2 large egg whites (or 1 jumbo)
- Beat shortening and marshmallow fluff together.
- Add confectioners sugar and blend well.
- Then add vanilla, salt and egg whites.
- Blend thoroughly, and fill each cake half when cooled. Top with other half.
- Refrigerate if not using right away.
Marshmallow Fluff is made right here in New England. I grew up eating “peanut butter and fluff”. It is also available in Raspberry and Strawberry flavors. Wanna know the history of Marshmallow Fluff? Check this out.
Check out my Black Moons with Chocolate Mascarpone Filling here.