Who says cupcakes from a cake mix can’t be over the top? These are sinfully delicious!
- 1 – Yellow, French Vanilla or Golden Yellow prepared cake mix, and ingredients as described on box
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 c. evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1–1/3 c. dark chocolate
- 4 Tbsp heavy cream
- 8 Tbsp sifted confectioners sugar
- 2–4 Tbsp water, warm
- 1 pkg Heath Bar bits
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 c. heavy cream, plus more as necessary
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 16-ounce box confectioner’s sugar
- Bake cupcakes from cake mix as directed.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugars, butter and milk over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes stirring constantly. Add vanilla. I after cooling slightly, mixture seems too thick for dipping cupcakes, add a little evaporated milk to thin.
- Dip cooled cupcakes into caramel mixture.
- Put in to freezer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until caramel is cooled.
- While cupcakes are in the freezer, make melted chocolate.
- Place chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl over simmering water. Let chocolate and cream sit for 2-3 minutes to melt without stirring. Then slowly stir mixture to combine. Add powdered sugar and mix to combine. Add water one tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition until pouring consistency is reached. Set aside and let sauce cool to warm.
- Dip cupcakes in to melted chocolate and then rim with Heath bar bits. Place in the refrigerator until chocolate is set.
- For frosting, melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar and cream. Cook over medium-low heat for about 2 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. If frosting is too thick, add 1 tablespoon heavy cream at a time until consistency is right.
- Pipe frosting on tops of cupcakes. Dust with remaining Heath bar bits.
The yield of cupcakes from boxed cake mixes seem to average about 16-18 these days. Gone are the days you get 24 cupcakes!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins