I was watching Home for Dinner with Jamie Deen this weekend, and he was making the “Deen” burger. It was basically a burger with chopped onion added to the ground beef., along with some other fixins. I thought I would try adding the onion to my burgers the next time I made burgers. I gotta tell you, I’m sure glad I did!
First, you start off with some really good 80/20 ground beef from your local butcher. I took it two steps further, and added some sauteed green bell pepper, and a slice of Cabot’s Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese! Now that’s what I call the ULTIMATE burger. It was delicious!
|The ULTIMATE Burger!||
- 1 lb really good 80/20 ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 3 slices Cabot extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat skillet on medium high. Add 2 Tbsp oil. Rinse, clean, and slice green bell pepper. Add to skillet and cook on medium high heat, until soft and cooked, stirring occasionally (approx 15 min).
- Heat grille, or grille pan. With about 1/3 lb of ground beef (or whatever size you choose), flatten and add some chopped onion. Without overworking, form in to a burger. Cook until desired doneness. Shortly before burgers are cooked, add cheddar cheese.
- Place burgers on buns, topping with sauteed green peppers.
Make sure to chop the onion real fine if you want them to cook inside the burger. Otherwise they’ll have a little crunch, but that’s OK too, in my opinion.