This lemon cake is super velvety, just the way I like it. I love the texture of boxed cake mixes, and love recipes that jazz up those boxed mixes. What better than my favorite…Lemon!
This cake also has a glaze you put on it after baking. You can make with or without. It’s terrific either way!
It’s that kind of cake that just needs a dab of whipped cream or Cool Whip to offset its tartness. It’s a great cake to make for a pot luck or travels well to any cookout or function.
This cake from Southern Cakes magazine is super easy to make. If you have a lemon obsession like I do, this cake will perfectly satisfy you.
- 1 - (18.25 oz) pkg lemon cake mix
- 1 c. water
- ½ tsp. lemon extract
- 1 - (3 oz) pkg lemon flavored gelatin
- ¾ c. canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- Optional Glaze:
- 2 c. confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- ½ c. fresh lemon juice
- Sweetened whipped cream or Cool Whip
- fresh Mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 13 X 9 inch pan with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 1 c. water, lemon extract, gelatin, oil and eggs. Beat with electric mixer, on medium speed, for about 3 minutes.
- Spread batter in to prepared pan.
- Bake for approx. 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Optional glaze:
- When cake is done, prick entire cake with a fork.
- Mix confectioners sugar with lemon zest and juice. Pour mixture on top of warm cake.
- Garnish with whipped cream and mint, if desired.