At our Memorial Day cookout (OK, Fourth of July and Labor Day, too), among other things, we always have sweet grilled Italian sweet sausage subs with peppers and onions on fresh Tripoli Bakery Italian rolls. There is nothing like them. These are the perfect thing to make ahead (as I do), so you can enjoy your cookout and your guests.
I love DiLuigi sausages. I’ve tried a lot of sausage most of which is too fatty, salty and down right tasteless. No I know sausage is not the healthiest thing to eat. DiLuigi sausages have the right amount of seasonings, are not overly fatty, and are absolutely delicious. I first tried them at my favorite specialty market, Wilson Farms. Them I noticed them in BJ’s in a much larger container. I freeze some for future use, or as with this weekend, I used the whole container!
- sweet Italian sausage
- green bell peppers
- yellow onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper
- celery seed
- Grill sausages on gas or charcoal grill until done.
- Remove core and seeds from green peppers and slice in to good sized slices. Peel and slice onions.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium high heat. Add peppers, onions, garlic, salt, pepper and celery seed.
- Cook on medium-medium high until peppers and onions have softened.
- If making ahead, if desired, slice sausages down the middle and put in a aluminum foil baking pan. Put the peppers and onion mixture on top. Put foil on and refrigerate until needed. Heat in a preheated oven ot on grille until hot.