This is a great little recipe if you want to make turnovers or mini apple pies. The filling is pre-cooked and spiced, so the possibility of uncooked apples is virtually eliminated. However, you want to watch how long you cook the filling, because you could end up with applesauce. This filling is especially nice for smaller pastries, as the filling is much more delicate than raw sliced apples would be in a large pie. I got this recipe in with my Tovolo Petite Pie Mold, and did make a couple molds, but knowing how akward I am with rolling out pastry (too thin as usual), ended up making the turnovers instead. Anyone that makes pastry often will have no trouble with it, and it makes a cute little hand pie. They also come in several shapes other than apple.
I will say the filling came out very tasty. The original recipe does not call for any spices, so I added your typical apple spices to this recipe. After all, apple pie just isn’t apple pie without cinnamon, etc. You can adjust the spices to your liking, and taste the filling as you go.
I also made some 4″ mini pies with this filling, but liked the filling in the turnovers much better with the cooked apples.
I used my Foolproof Pie Crust (double crust) recipe for these turnovers.
- 1/2 c. melted butter
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
- 1/2 c. apple sauce
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut in to 1/2″ dice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 2 recipes Foolproof Pie Crust for double crust pie or 4 frozen pie crust sheets (enough for 2 double crust pies)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine melted butter, white sugar, brown sugar, tapioca, apple sauce, apple cubes, cinnamon and apple pie spice. Cook over medium heat to desired tenderness.
- Roll out pie crust and cut a circle for each turnover (I use a 6″ circle). Place 2-3 Tbsp of filling on one half of each circle staying away from the edges. Brush egg around the edges, and crimp to seal. Poke a couple hole in the top to vent. Brush tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
- Bake for approx 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve warm!