What a great recipe to use up those veggies in the garden! Just make sure to use plum tomatoes, not regular tomatoes from the garden. I used regular tomatoes, and they were very hard to remove from the cookie sheet after roasting, because they were very mushy. Plum tomatoes do not mush after roasting, and would be much easier to pick up.
I found this recipe on Deb’s Smitten Kitchen blog, and knew I just has to try it. I had some zucchini (which sadly did not come from my garden), and tomatoes I had just picked. It was fairly easy to make and tasted delicious when done. This is a great recipe that combines starch and veggies.
|Zucchini Rice Gratin||
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice, long-grain is suggested but use whatever you prefer
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 3 medium), sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Table salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cook the rice according to your favorite method.
- While rice cooks, coat two large baking sheets each with a tablespoon of olive oil. Spread zucchini and tomato slices on the baking sheets in a single layer. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Roast tomatoes for 10 minutes and zucchini for 20. Flip zucchini halfway through. Leave oven on.
- Heat large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, heat oil, then add onions, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan. Cover and reduce heat to low, cooking onion until limp and tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Cool rice mixture. Combine onion mixture, rice, eggs, thyme, half of your grated cheese and a half-tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl. Add a good amount of freshly ground black pepper. Use the remaining half-tablespoon of olive oil to coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Spread half of rice mixture in bottom of dish. Arrange half of roasted zucchini on top. Spread remaining rice mixture over it. Arrange remaining zucchini on top, then tomato slices. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese and bake until set and golden brown, about 20 minutes.