Looking for a great barbecue sauce recipe? This barbecue sauce is thick and rich, sweet and spicy, and everything you want in a barbecue sauce. Its super easy to make, and most of the ingredients are within your pantry. When you see how easy this is to make, you won’t want to buy store bought again!
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bacon slices
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 onion
- 3 smashed garlic cloves
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard or 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- Wrap the bacon around the middle of the thyme sprigs and tie with kitchen twine so you have a nice bundle. Heat a 2-count of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme bundle and cook slowly for 3 to 4 minutes to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a nice smoky taste.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook slowly, without coloring, for 5 minutes.
- Add all of the rest of the sauce ingredients, give the sauce a stir, and turn the heat down to low. Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Refrigerate if not ready to use right away.
Adapted from Tyler Florence