My daughter called me the other day and asked me for a recipe for stuffed peppers. I realized I didn’t have one as I don’t make them very often. So I started my search. Almost immediately I came up with Giada’s recipe for Orzo Stuffed Peppers. They looked terrific and knowing how good Giada’s recipes are, I knew it would be perfect for her. Well she made them and said they were “yummy”. Yes, that was her exact words. Tonight I decided to see for myself how yummy they were. I know everything I’ve made of Giada’s has been excellent, so I didn’t doubt these would be tasty.
I followed the recipe exactly except I added a little ground beef and scallions, and omitted the mint. They were pretty easy to make, so anyone can make these. They turned out excellent! And super tasty! Thanks Giada for another great recipe!Print
Deliciously, tasty orzo stuffed peppers.
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions; green parts only, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1–1/2 cups orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 6 sweet bell peppers (red or yellow)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook ground beef in a medium skillet until lightly browned.
- Pour the tomatoes into a large bowl and break apart using a pair of kitchen shears or your finger tips. Add the zucchini, cheese, olive oil, garlic, scallions, salt, and pepper. Add the ground beef. Stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the orzo and cook for 4 minutes. The orzo should be only partially cooked. Use a fine mesh sieve to transfer the orzo to the large bowl with the other vegetables. Stir the orzo into the vegetable mix to combine. Transfer the warm chicken broth to a 3-quart baking dish.
- Slice the tops off the peppers and remove all ribs and seeds. Cut a very thin slice from the base to help the peppers stand up.
- Place the peppers in the baking dish with the warm chicken broth. Spoon the orzo mixture into the peppers. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle the top of each pepper with cheese and continue baking until the cheese is golden, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully transfer the orzo stuffed pepper to a serving plate.