I wanted to make something special for our Valentine church bake sale. I decided to make a chocolate cupcake with Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse filling and strawberry frosting. I used a basic cake mix for the cupcake. Then I made the white chocolate strawberry mousse from fresh berry puree, and used the left over puree to add to my basic frosting. I didn’t get a chance to try one, but I can tell you the mousse came out unbelievable and so did the frosting. And those are two most important parts, right?Print
These cupcakes are the perfect balance of sweetness for a cupcake. The mousse filling is not too sweet, but full of flavor. The frosting is loaded with strawberry flavor.
- 1 Chocolate boxed cake mix & ingredients called for on box
- 1–1/2 lbs strawberries
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 8 oz. white chocolate, finely chopped
- 1–1/4 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp confectioners sugar
- 3 c. confectioners sugar
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 1/2– 3/4 c. strawberry puree
- milk to desired consistency
- 1 tsp. strawberry extract
- Prepare boxed cupcakes as directed. Cool.
- To make the Strawberry White Chocolate Mousse, clean and hull the strawberries. Quarter and purée the strawberries in a food processor. Then press the purée mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. You want to end up with 2 cups of purée. Separate the puree in to 2 one cup portions. Stir 1 Tbsp of the lemon juice in to one, and set aside.
- Melt white chocolate in a double boiler, or a stainless steel bowl set over simmering water (watch si it doesn’t burn). Stir until smooth, set aside.
- Put 1/4 cup of cool water into a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin powder over the water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir 1/4 cup of the cream and the 2 Tbsp of powdered sugar in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the gelatin mixture and stir until the gelatin has dissolved. Pour into the bowl of melted chocolate, and stir until smooth. Whisk in 1 cup strawberry purée.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the remaining 1-3/4 cup of cream. Beat on medium-high speed until medium peaks form. Whisk one third of the whipped cream into the white chocolate mixture. Using a large rubber spatula, gently fold the remaining whipped cream into the mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the frosting, cream the confectioners sugar and the shortening together. Add strawberry puree, extract and small amount of milk and beat on med to med high. Adjust consistency by adding more milk if needed (if mixture is too thin, add more confectioners sugar).