Apparently, I love Salisbury Steak! I never knew it until I made French Onion Salisbury Steak from Cuisine at Home magazine. Since then I’ve been on the lookout for different recipes for Salisbury Steak. This one really stood out when I was on Pinterest a short while ago.
I decided to try it the other day. Let me tell you, the broth has the perfect balance of onion flavor, wine and beef stock. Its truly addicting! The hamburger patties have slightly different ingredients than my other version, having rice added to it. It was really delicious and will definitely make it again and again!
- Onion Gravy:
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Meat Patties:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup cooked white rice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- To make gravy: Heat butter in a large sauté pan. Add onions and cook over medium-high heat, until onions start to brown, stirring occasionally. When onions are slightly softened and turning a deep honey brown, add ¼ cup broth. Reduce heat, cover and continue cooking, adding more broth as needed to prevent caramelized bits at the bottom of the pan from burning. It should take at least 25 to 30 minutes to properly caramelize onions. Stir in flour and cook for about 2 minutes. Add wine and reduce by half. Stir in remaining beef broth and tomato paste. Stir in cider vinegar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- To make patties: Mix ground beef, rice, egg yolk, salt, pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and parsley in a bowl. Shape into 4 oval patties about ¾-inch thick. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Sear patties about 3 minutes per side, or until a brown crust forms. Pour gravy over patties and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve warm with mashed potatoes.
If Salisbury Steak is something you crave, try this recipe from One Perfect Bite, you won’t be disappointed!