I have a farm stand locally that features 6 different soups a day. On a recent trip to Farmer Browns, I bought a huge container of their Lasagna soup. I had it for dinner that night along with crusty bread. It hit the spot as it was a Sunday night, and I didn’t feel like making anything. I decided to try and make this soup. It was really easy, and came out very, very close to their soup.
I use Mafaldine noodles which look very similar to lasagna noodles in smaller form.
Note: Start with a small amount of chili powder and taste as you go. The amount of heat in your soup is a matter of taste. If you need more broth as it cooks, just add more chicken or beef broth. Make sure to add cooked small macaroni right before you serve to the individual bowls. If you add to soup, even at the end of cooking, it will blow up in the soup and take up all your broth.
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 3 sweet Italian sausage links, cases removed
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 3-4 stalks celery, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6-8 large or 12 small mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 1 (28 oz) can really good Italian whole tomatoes with juice, broken up
- ¼ tsp – ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 6-8 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp celery flakes
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 can beef broth
- ½ can corn niblets, drained
- ½ can white Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 small zucchini, cut lengthwise in to quarters and then into small chunks
- ¼ lb small macaroni, cooked and drained (I used Mafaldine to mimic lasagna noodles)
- grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large stockpot, brown ground beef and sausage.
- Add celery, onion, carrots and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes or so, or until slightly soft.
- Add tomatoes, seasonings, and broth. Add corn, beans and zucchini.
- Turn down heat to low, and simmer until all vegetables are tender. Soup gets better the longer it cooks. Add more broth to soup if needed. Add macaroni to soup just before serving.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.