I saw this great Easy Wedding Soup recipe on the Chocolate Moosey blog, and it looked so delicious, I knew I had to make it. I’ve made this recipe twice now, and both times it came out DELICIOUS!
The ingredients for the meatballs are perfectly seasoned and proportioned!
This soup is so easy, you won’t believe it tastes so good. The most time consuming is the meatballs. And I try to make those ahead and freeze, so when you want to throw together a soup, it’s super quick.
I used the small 100 round stainless squeeze scoop to make the meatballs, and cut them in half and roll, to make small enough for the soup. The mixing together is nothing, and once the rolling is done, I throw them either in the refrigerator if using right away, or in the freezer for future use. If freezing, make sure to freeze separately on cookie sheets, and then once frozen, throw in Ziploc bags. Otherwise, they’ll all be stuck together.
Along with the chicken broth, I use some Herbox Sodium Free Chicken Granulated Bouillon in some water. I like the flavor of the Bullion along with the canned chicken broth. But, you could also use the chicken base diluted in water. Or you can use home made chicken stock which is preferred…if I only had enough time:)
Basically, once the meatballs are made, you saute the veggies, add the broth and boil. Add the meatballs. Cook slightly. Add the pasta and spinach, and you’re good to go.
Thanks Moosey, for a great recipe. I’ll keep this for years to come!
- Meatballs: (can be done ahead of time)
- ½ pound ground beef
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp plain bread crumbs
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¾ tsp dried parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp butter (substituting olive oil, as I did would work as well)
- ½ cup onion, chopped (roughly 1 small)
- ½ cup carrot, peeled and sliced into coins (roughly 2 carrots)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 -2 Tbsp dried parsley
- ½ cup acini di pepi (can use orzo)
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- Make the meatballs: In a large bowl, mix together the beef, onion, garlic, cheese, salt, bread crumbs, basil, parsley, and egg until combined. Shape into tiny bite-sized meatballs, roughly ½ inch in diameter. Place onto cookie sheets (or plates) and refrigerate until ready to use. Refrigerating will keep them from falling apart in the soup.
- For the soup: In a large stock pot, melt the butter. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook until tender but not too soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Drop in the meatballs and cook 7 minutes (longer if frozen*). Add acini di pepi and cook 5 minutes then add spinach. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. If you need more broth, add the remaining 1-2 cups.