Well, here we are, in the second half of the chase. Things are closing in. My favorite, Dale Jr has been sidelined due to a concussion, so will not race this race. I hope to see him next race, but not unless he’s 100%!!!
The number of contenders for the championship is slimming down to about 5. Anything can happen, but is past performance is any indicator, its probably down to 3 or 4. Only time will tell.
Meanwhile, we’ll enjoy the few races left, and why not make this Chili Con Queso and chips to watch the game? It’s super easy, and can be made as hot as you like.
6th Race: Kansas Speedway
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (2 cups), room temperature
- 4 ounces Colby cheese, shredded (1 cup), room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon minced canned Chipotle chile in Adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10-ounce) can Ro-tel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and pepper
- Place Monterey Jack, Colby, and 1 tablespoon oil in blender; set aside. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in Chipotle and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and cook until hot, about 2 minutes. Transfer to serving bowl.
- Add evaporated milk and water to now-empty pot and bring to boil. Pour hot milk over cheese in blender, cover, and process until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour cheese into serving bowl with tomato mixture and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let sit for 10 minutes to thicken slightly. (To rewarm cooled Queso, microwave in 20-second bursts, stirring at each interval, until melted.) Serve with tortilla chips.
Winner of Race 6 of the Chase, Matt Kenseth!