It’s Saturday morning, and this is what I’m making this morning. For some reason lately, if it’s a Saturday, and I have nothing important to do, I seem to make sure and make a recipe I’ve been wanting to make. That is, if I have all the ingredients to do so. Luckily, this week, I had it all, so off I go.
These scones were literally easy to make. The recipe called for the use of a food processor, so I used my trusty Cuisinart FP-14DC food proccessor, I got almost free from Macy’s last year with my “Thanks for Sharing” bonus money from the Christmas season. I had a big coupon too, which didn’t hurt.
Delicious lemon scones with chewy and tart dried cherries and crunchy pistachios.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 5 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice from one lemon
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ½ cup salted pistachios
- 1–1/4 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor add in the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and lemon zest, pulse to blend.
- Add the cubes of butter and pulse until the butter has been cut into the mixture, it should like coarse grains of sand.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt or sour cream, cream, Meyer lemon juice and vanilla until combined.
- Add to the flour mixture, and mix with a spoon until the mixture just starts to come together. (Do not over mix).
- Add the cherries and pistachios, mix just enough to incorporate.
- Form the mixture into a ball and place on the parchment paper.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a large circle and flatten about one inch thick (you may need some flour if dough is really sticky).
- Cut the scones into 8 pieces and separate on your baking sheet.
- If the scone wedges have excess flour on the tops of them, brush off with a pastry brush. Brush the finished scones with a little cream or milk to get good color as they bake.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a deep golden brown in color. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Category: Breakfast