I saw this chili on Home for Dinner with Jamie Deen show on the Food Network. I realized I hadn’t made chili in quite some time. His looked so easy and so good, I decided I would give this recipe a try.
It was all that. Easy to make, and delicious. It has a bottle of beer in it. Don’t ask me why, but it add tons of flavor, and quite a depth to it. You’ll just have to try it, and you’ll see what I mean. Football season is around the corner, it’ll be perfect for tailgating!Print
This tasty chili is loads of beans, the delicious flavors of ground beef and sausage, and is packed with the deep flavors of chili.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- One 4-ounce can tomato paste
- One 12-ounce bottle beer
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded Cheddar, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions and peppers and saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until just fragrant. Stir in the beef and sausage, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon, and cook until browned.
- Drain the beef mixture through a colander placed over a large bowl. Add the meat back to the Dutch oven and stir in the chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste into the beef; this will “toast” it and give the chili more flavor.
- Add the beer and stir up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer, and then add the diced tomatoes and beans. Simmer on medium-low for 2 hours, stirring on occasion to keep the bottom from sticking.
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 mins