Three more races to go. Its hard to believe an entire race season is just about over. Its hard to believe the “year” is about over! I’m sure the race teams feel a little differently, looking forward to a couple months rest before it all starts again!
It was great to see Dale Jr back again even though he placed 21st at Martinsville, after a pretty good run all day. But, a split second gamble is still a gamble…sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And anyone who knows racing of any kind knows exactly that…sometimes it doesn’t come out the way you expect, Period. It was a great effort nontheless, and are proud of the 88 team and their efforts.
I look forward to the next three races, and going to Daytona for the Daytona 500 as always to start another year of racing!
This Pasta E Fagioli soup is the perfect thing for tailgating. It can be made ahead, put in Thermoses or even heated on the grille. Make sure not to add the pasta until serving to avoid soggy pasta. (Anyone who knows me knows I hate anything mushy, so that would totally ruin it for me)!
It is super easy to make, even a beginner could make this soup without any problem. Its perfect for dinner. Serve with a salad and hot, crusty bread.
8th Race: Texas Motor Speedway
- 1 c. Ditalini pasta or any other very small soup pasta
- 1 lb ground beef
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 c. diced or matchstick carrots
- 1-1/2 c. chopped celery
- ¾ c. chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 - (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 5 c. beef broth
- 1 c. water
- 1 - (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 - (15 oz) can Dark Red Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 - (15 oz) can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 - small zucchini, halved and sliced
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large non-stick stockpot over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until completely cooked. Remove ground beef from pan, and set aside.
- Heat a couple more tablespoons olive oil in stockpot and saute carrots, celery and onion on medium high heat just beginning to cook, about 4 minutes or so. Add minced garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Reduce heat. Add tomato sauce, beef broth, water, canned tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, chili powder and cooked ground beef. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, cook Ditalini or other pasta according to package directions. Drain, and cool on a cookie sheet. When cooled, add a little olive oil to prevent pasta from sticking. Put in a sealed container to add to soup when serving.
- Add Kidney and Great Northern beans and zucchini to soup, and cook 15 minutes or so longer, or until zucchini is cooked.
- Add pasta to each serving when serving. If all of the pasta is added to the soup, the pasta becomes slimy and absorbs all the liquid in the soup.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese.