I pinned this recipe for Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake as I have many others, quite a while ago. I finally decided to make it. Wow, have I been missing out!
It really reminds me of the cougan’s I make, only they have a fruit filling with the streusel on top. Even the dough for the base is prepared very similar.
I made in an 8″ Springform pan…it came out of the pan like a breeze. And there’s nothing like going to all that trouble of making the cake, only to have it plop on the floor!
I just wish I brought home some of the 8″ wax circles I sell in my store…I had to cut the circle out for the bottom of the pan with scissors… Use it though, it does help it release from the bottom tons easier.
You can use jam instead of the fresh strawberry jam, but I would highly encourage you to make the jam from fresh berries, as it tastes a whole lot better in my opinion. And the fresh jam only take a couple minutes to make…literally.
When you’re looking for a special cake to make for a brunch, this is the perfect solution. Try it, you won’t be disappointed!
- Butter Cake & Crumb Topping:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, cold and cut into chunks
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup sour cream (full fat)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 – 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Strawberry Filling:
- 1½ cup fresh strawberries, cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp water
- 1.5 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8 inch round pan with removable bottom with non-stick baking paper.
- Prepare the strawberry jam.
- Combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry in a bowl. Mix the strawberries and sugar in a pan. Cook over low heat until the strawberries release their juices about 5 minutes, then add the cornstarch mix and stir until well combined. Stir for another minute or two until it has thickened. Remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature while you prepare the rest of the cake.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling.
- Beat the cream cheese on medium speed for about 30 seconds until smooth. Add in the sugar and egg and beat until well combined. Set aside.
- Prepare the cake.
- Combine the flour and sugar together in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter or just 2 forks, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Measure ¾ cup of the mixture and set aside. Add the baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- In another bowl, beat the sour cream, egg and vanilla extract until well blended. Using a hand whisk or a spoon, stir gently into the flour mixture until just incorporated. Batter may be a bit lumpy. Set aside.
- Spread the batter in the pan, with about ½ inch up the sides, also leaving a ½ inch border around the edges bare (like making a well). Pour the cream cheese mixture over the batter, being careful not to go beyond the border. Spread the strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle the remaining ¾ cup crumbs over the strawberry filling. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the cake.
Source: Joans Food Wanderings