Now I’ve made a LOT of Blueberry Muffins, but none were as good as these Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins by the Barefoot Contessa! And what a perfect day to make them…Mother’s Day! The one day you can eat as many as you want with no weight gain….right???
I wasn’t sure where the “coffee cake” came from in the title. I always assimilate coffee cake with cinnamon. And there’s no cinnamon in these. It is probably the texture…they are a little more cakelike that traditional muffins…which is fine with me…just the way I like them! Bursting with delicious blueberries, the cake soft, and the tops were nice and crunchy. They keep beautifully, unlike a lot of muffins, and the recipe makes quite a few.
Try to use fresh blueberries if you can get them. Trust me, you won’t regret making these delicious muffins, time and time again.
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces (about 1 cup) sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 half-pints fresh blueberries, picked through for stems
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place 16 paper liners in muffin pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, sour cream, and milk. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture to the batter and beat until just mixed. Fold in the blueberries with a spatula and be sure the batter is completely mixed.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each cup just over the top, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top and a cake tester comes out clean.