Wow, I’ve had quite a weekend for baking and cooking, and ALL of the recipes have turned out great! That’s gotta be a record! I’ve made the Pineapple Sour Cream Crumb Bars, Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, Apple Pasties and I made this Zucchini Saute for supper, and thought…Wow this would be unreal for a spaghetti sauce!
So, I made some angel hair and put the sauce on it. Unreal. I’m really not a red sauce person, and could care less about spaghetti and sauce normally. But this is phenomenal! The sweet sauce with Zucchini is delicious. And good for you! It’s the other stuff I made this weekend that’s not so good for your waistline…but they were all delicious!
I always use Vantia canned tomatoes. I literally drive 45 minutes each way to buy them, and they are well worth it. Remember, your recipes only turn out as good as the ingredients in them. And these tomatoes are well worth it! I am working on carrying the various Vantia products in my store, so stay tuned!
Now, on with the recipe!
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 2 Green Zucchini, quartered and sliced into good sized chunks
- 2 Yellow Summer Squash, quartered and sliced into good sized chunks
- 1 very large Vidalia onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 (28 oz can) whole tomatoes
- 1–2 tsp sugar
- 6 basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano, dried
- ½ tsp basil, dried
- 1 tsp parsley, dried
- 1 small can of tomato juice, if needed
- Heat oil In a large skillet, over medium high heat until hot. Add onions and saute until slightly browned.
- Add in zucchini and squash, and mix thoroughly.
- Add canned tomatoes, and herbs and mix together. Add a little sugar.
- Let simmer until squash is soft; 20 min to 30 min.
- Category: Sauce
Just remember to use some really good quality canned tomatoes (I use Vantia, and drive about 45 minutes one way to get them!). Your recipes will only turn out as good as the ingredients in them. Trust me I know my tomatoes! These are one of the best! I’m working on carrying the various Vantia products in my store, so stay tuned…