I found these great bars on, where else???… Pinterest. It came from Alyssa at The Recipe Critics blog, and were made with Strawberry filling. I had some Pineapple filling and thought they would be great with that as well.
They were extremely easy to make. No electric mixture needed. Just a couple of bowls. I made a sling of parchment as suggested in the bottom of the baking dish, so when there were fully cooled I lifted them right out onto a cutting board to cut.
These bars were DELICIOUS! The crust and crumb topping were very buttery tasting. I was a little skeptical putting the filling in with no tapioca or thickener, was afraid they would be runny. They weren’t. The sour cream filling adds real creaminess. I made late in the evening and put in the fridge before going to bed. Took out the next morning. They cut perfectly, and the consistency was perfect as well.
Thanks Aylssa, for a dynamite recipe that’s definitely a keeper! This is one bar recipe I will be doubling and making in a 9 x 13 pan for the next time. A 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan is just not enough of these delicious bars!
- ½ c butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ½ c light brown sugar
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 c pineapple pie filling (or any kind you would like)
- ½ c sour cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare an 8×8 square pan by lining with parchment paper and spraying with cooking spray.
- Make the crust by whisking together in a medium bowl the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the melted butter. The dough will be crumbly but make sure all of the butter is incorporated.
- Reserve ¾ cup of the crust and press the remaining into the bottom of your 8×8 prepared baking pan.
- For the sour cream filling, mix together in a large bowl the sour cream, sugar, 1 Tbsp flour, egg, and vanilla. Pour over the crust in your 8×8 pan.
- Spoon your pie filling over the sour cream and gently swirl with the sour cream filling with a spoon.
- Sprinkle your reserved ¾ cup crust over the top and bake for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and serve into squares. Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.