I had to come up with a macaroni salad recently, and had seen a recipe for a salad using Gemelli macaroni. I had never had this macaroni before, and after this salad, have decided it’s now my go-to macaroni for salads using mayonnaise anyway. The mayonnaise clings to the little twists nicely, and its a nice size for eating.
I remembered a pasta salad that I used to buy that had peas and cheddar cheese in it (among other things), and loved it. This salad reminds me of that salad.
A deliciously creamy salad with fresh peas, red and orange peppers, scallions, shallots and cheddar cheese.
- 1 lb box Gemelli macaroni
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 shallot, cut in half and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 bag frozen peas
- 1/3 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, sliced in a small dice
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- Cook Gemelli macaroni according to package directions. Drain, and lay out on a tray or cookie sheet to fully cool.
- For dressing, mix mayo, sour cream, celery seed, Dijon mustard & lemon juice, until fully incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When macaroni is fully cooled, add bell pepper, scallions, shallots, peas and cheddar cheese to macaroni in a large bowl.
- Add dressing a little at a time until it reaches the consistency desired. Don’t forget, that the macaroni will soak up some of the dressing, so save some of the dressing to add at the last minute if you need to.
If dressing tastes a little sour, add some sugar to taste.