All I have to say is WOW! Are these apple crumb bars the best ever! Buttery, not too sweet crust, with tender apples, rich with cinnamon and sugar, topped with more buttery, crunchy topping. The rich flavor of butter in the crust and topping is very prominent, as is the tender, juicy, cinnamon apples. This bar is perfect for any potluck, function, or just for you and your family at home.
I first saw these bars on Pinterest and pinned to my “Stuff I wanna Make” board. They are from “Lovin From the Oven” blog. The recipe has a glaze on top of it, which I did not use, and really don’t think it needs it. I think they may be too sweet if the glaze is used. This bar has the perfect amount of sweetness and tenderness as is. It practically melts in your mouth. Delicious and super easy!
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. real butter, softened (no substitutions!)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2-3 tsp. cinnamon
- 4 c. (about 3 medium) sliced, peeled baking apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To prepare crust, mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until you have pea-sized crumbles. Gently mix in beaten egg.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Gently pat about 2/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
- To prepare apple filling, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Toss with apples and spread apples out on prepared crust.
- Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over apples evenly and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- When finished, allow to cool completely.