I noticed these Chocolate Mascarpone Black Moons were re-pinned on Pinterest, and thought the Mascarpone filling would be a great idea for my grandmother’s Black Moon recipe. I am partial to the Marshmallow Fluff filling that grandma used to make, but these chocolate gems sure did look good.
I made my recipe for the Black Moons, and the great recipe for Chocolate Mascarpone Filling from Food Pusher. The filling was FANTASTIC! Extremely light considering there is 16 oz. of Mascarpone cheese and whipping cream in it. And
d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s! This filling would also be great for a cupcake or cake filling also. You gotta try this filling!
Oh, and my black moons came out pretty good as well!Print
My grandmother recipe for black moons is still a gold standard for me. I haven’t found a recipe I liked better.
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1–1/2 tsp. soda
- 1/2 c. Crisco shortening
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 c. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. cocoa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder & soda together and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, blend shortening and sugar until blended. Add egg. Beat in milk and vanilla.
- Add sifted flour mixture. Add cocoa and mix completely.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 6-7 minutes.
- Category: Dessert
Extremely light, creamy and tasty. This filling is perfect for cupcakes, cakes, or black moons,
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1/4 c.hot water
- 1 tsp.vanilla extract
- 16 oz. Mascarpone cheese
- 1 c.heavy whipping cream
- In a mixer bowl thoroughly mix cocoa, sugar, and hot water. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add cream, Mascarpone & vanilla. Mix slowly at first to incorporate ingredients and then beat on high until very thick.
- Place frosting in a large zip-top bag and cut one of the bottom corners 1/2 inch or, put in to a decorators bag with a large tip.
- Squeeze about 4 tablespoons of frosting on each cookie.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Category: Dessert
Check out my Black Moon recipe with Marshmallow Filling here.