My mother makes this recipe all the time. My father used to love anything sweet! She got it from my childhood best friend’s mother, Mrs. Murray. Ive made this for bake sale’s, Christening’s, family gatherings, cookouts, you name it. This kuchen is so versatile, you cam make it any time of the year, no matter what the climate is.
It has a wonderful stable crust that holds all the yummy fruit filling. I think making it with canned filling is best and more convenient, but you can also make with anything fresh, just make sure to add a thickener and sweetener. It has a buttery, crumbly, crunchy topping that is super delicious.
You can make in any variety canned filling. I’ve made with pineapple, raspberry, mixed fruit and apple. However, pineapple and blueberry are my favorites. You can add some cinnamon to the topping for the apple. I’ve added some KAF Toasted Coconut to the topping for added flavor and crunch to the pineapple.Print
- 1 c. flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1–1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash salt
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 21 oz. canned fruit filling (sprinkle top of filling with tapioca before topping)
- approx. 4 c. fresh fruit (add 1/2 c. sugar & 2 Tbsp tapioca to fresh fruit)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. flour
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 375° F. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt & butter. Cut together until crumbly. Drop in the egg, and 2 Tbsp milk; stir to form a soft dough. Form into a ball. Place into a 9″ round cake pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and press with hands in bottom and up sides of pan. Fill with desired canned filling or fresh fruit.
- For topping, in a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour & butter, and cut in together to form a crumbly texture and top fruit.
- Bake at 375° F for 45 minutes.