I love easy one pot comfort food, especially during the week. This recipe from Kay’s Kayotic Kitchen blog, fits the bill. I love sausages, and absolutely love roasted vegetables.
This one pot dish was excellent! Super easy to prepare, anyone can make it. What a perfect dinner idea! This recipe will surely be a keeper!Print
Sausages and vegetables all roasted together in one pot until caramelized. This is THE essential comfort food!
- 8 (4″ long) sweet Italian sausages
- 4–5 medium red potatoes
- 4 large carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp oil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian herbs or a good sprinkling of basil, oregano, parsley, etc
- 2/3 c. chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Peel and half the potatoes. Peel one large onion, and cut into wedges.
- Remove the base and stalks of the fennel, and cut into wedges as well.
- Slice red bell pepper in strips. Place everything in a big roasting tray.
- Use a big bowl to combine the oil with the Italian herbs, minced garlic, and chicken broth.
- Season with a generous amount of salt and cracked black pepper.
- Cover the tray with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, brown the sausages. No need to cook them all the way through, just lightly brown them.
- Slice each sausage in half.
- After 45 minutes the potatoes and vegetables should be fork tender. Place the sausages in with the vegetables and pour the balsamic vinegar all over sausages and vegetables.
- Place the tray back in the oven, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Take it out after 15 minutes, flip the the sausages and ladle some of the juices lurking at the bottom all over the vegetables and sausages. Put it back in the oven for the remaining time, until everything is nice and brown.
You can substitute other winter vegetables in this recipe as well.