I couldn’t wait to make these cookies the minute I saw them in my King Arthur Flour catalog! They are a cross between Mexican Wedding Cookies and my favorite, lemon! These are so light and crunchy, they literally melt in your mouth!
They are super easy to make. I know I’ll be making these again and again. The lemon juice powder can be purchased from King Arthur Flour.Print
These snowball cookies are a cross between two of my favorite things: Mexican Wedding Cakes and Lemon! They literally melt in your mouth!
- 1 c. (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar or glazing sugar
- 1/8 tsp. lemon oil or 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (zest)
- 2 c. Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 c. confectioners’ or glazing sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 c. lemon juice powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter and salt until soft and fluffy.
- Mix in the confectioners’ or glazing sugar, and lemon oil or grated rind (zest).
- Add the flour, mixing until well combined.
- Form the dough into 1″ balls; a teaspoon cookie scoop is a real time-saver, and your cookies will be nice and uniform. Place the balls on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes. They should be very light brown on the bottom, and feel set on top.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Let them cool on the baking sheets for 3 minutes before disturbing; they’re very fragile when hot.
- To finish the cookies: Sift the confectioners’ or glazing sugar with the lemon powder and place in a shallow pan. Roll the warm cookies in the sugar/lemon coating.
- Let the cookies cool completely, then add edible glitter (if desired) to the coating and re-roll in the sugar.
- When completely cool, store cookies in airtight containers for 1 week, or freeze for longer storage.