I saw this great recipe on Amber’s Sprinkled With Flour blog, and thought it would be a great version of a coffee cake to make. The only think I did different was to add a little pineapple extract to the batter and icing, and exchanged the walnuts for sliced almonds from the original recipe.
It came out beautifully. And you could definitely taste the pineapple! Sometimes fruit flavors are hard to taste in a coffee cake, but not this one! You could even add a little toasted coconut to the topping ingredients as well! This is very easy to make, no mixer, just mix by hand, and its ready to bake! This is a coffee cake you gotta try!
Pineapple is an excellent and versatile ingredient for a coffee cake. And the cake is so moist and delicious, this recipe will be a keeper!
- 4 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 egg
- 2 c. vanilla yogurt
- 1 c. oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. pineapple extract (if you can’t find any, replace with 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract)
- 1–1/2 c. crushed pineapple (well drained) (reserve the juice)
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2. c. butter
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- Pineapple Glaze:
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- reserved pineapple juice from crushed pineapple to desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl beat the eggs, yogurt, vanilla and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until blended. Fold in the WELL DRAINED pineapple. Pour cake batter into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Combine flour, sugar and butter. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add chopped nuts and mix well. Sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
- Bake cake at 350 F for 40-45 minutes or until middle is set and cake is lightly browned. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- For the Glaze: Combine the powdered sugar and enough of the pineapple juice to reach your desired consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake. Serve and enjoy!