Delicious, thick and creamy Tomato Soup with Roasted Garlic and Asiago cheese.
- 3 lbs ripe Roma tomatoes
- 1–1/2 heads garlic
- 3–6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can really good tomatoes with heavy juice
- 1 (14 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1–1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2–3 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1–1/2 cup half & half or milk, or both
- 4 oz. Asiago cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, cut pointed top off garlic bulb to expose the garlic. Place garlic in some heavy duty aluminum foil and drizzle with 1-1/2 tsp of olive oil. Seal up aluminum foil and place on a baking pan or dish. Bake garlic in preheated oven until soft, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Once water reaches a boil, carefully place tomatoes in boiling water and allow to boil just until their skins burst, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile fill a large mixing bowl with ice water. Once tomatoes have burst, immediately transfer to ice bath, and allow to cool about 30 seconds (or until they are cold enough for you to handle). Peel and dice tomatoes.
- Heat 3 Tbsp olive oil in a large enameled pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add diced onion and saute until soft, about 6 minutes. Add in diced tomatoes and their juices, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, sugar, and basil. Peel and mince roasted garlic then add to soup. Bring mixture just to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer uncovered for 45 minutes – 1 hour (you can simmer it up to an hour longer over low heat, just cover with lid after 1st hour). Puree soup with an immersion blender if desired (if you like it slightly chunky no pureeing is necessary), or process in batches in a blender, filling blender only halfway each time and removing cap in lid and covering with a dish towel (to allow heat to escape and prevent the blender from bursting). Stir in milk and/or half and half. Serve warm with fresh croutons, shredded Asiago cheese and sprinkle top with fresh basil.
- Category: Soup