- 1–1/2 c. to 2 c. sliced fresh peaches
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1–1/4 c. sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground mace
- 1/3 c. (2/3 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Peel, pit and slice the peaches. Melt butter in an 8X8 baking dish, in the preheated oven until melted. Make sure not to burn. Add brown sugar and stir until coated with butter. Even out over the bottom of pan. Arrange peach slices on top of the brown sugar mixture. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, resift the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt & mace. Add the softened butter, milk & vanilla. Beat on low speed for 1-1/2 minutes, then add the egg and beat 1-1/2 minutes longer. Spread the batter evenly over the peaches with a rubber spatula – the batter is quite thick. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, loosen edges with knife, and invert immediately onto platter. Let cool before serving.