- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1–1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1–3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 –7oz packages Italian Lady fingers
- 1 cup cold espresso
- 1/2 cup coffee flavored Liqueur (optional)
- 1 Tbsp cocoa for dusting
- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. This is your sabayon, remove from the heat and whip yolks with an electric mixer until thick and lemon colored.
- Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, using electric mixer, whip cream to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone sabayon mixture and set aside.
- Mix the cold espresso with the coffee liquor and dip the lady fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
- In the bottom of a deep 9″ square baking dish, add a thin layer of mascarpone mixture. Arrange the lady fingers all across the bottom.
- Spoon half of what’s left of the mascarpone cream filling over the lady fingers.
- Repeat process with another layer of lady fingers and cream.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Dust with cocoa before serving.