This dessert captures the essence of summer! The mixture of the berries together tastes incredible. And the tender lemony biscuits perfectly accent the berries.
- 2 lbs. mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, black currants, cherries, etc.)
- 6 Tbsp sugar (taste for level of sweetness, add more if desired)
- 3–5 Tbsp quick cooking Tapioca or Clear Gel (depending on the juiciness of the fruit)
- Lemon Cobbler Topping:
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, chilled or frozen
- 1–3/4 c. self-rising flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1/3 c. sugar
- finely grated peel of 2 lemons and freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 c. milk, plus more if needed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pick over berries, discarding bruised ones. Mix with sugar and thickener, and transfer to baking individual or one medium size (square) baking dish.
- For the topping:
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour and salt. On the large holes of a box grater, grate the butter in to the flour mixture until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in two thirds of the 1/3 cup sugar and the grated lemon peel. Add the milk to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork to form a fairly soft and sticky dough. Tip the dough on to a floured work surface and knead lightly. Roll into a long thin sausage and using scissors, snip off little hazelnut size pieces. Scatter these lightly over the berries.
- Mix the lemon juice with the remaining sugar and liberally brush this mixture all over the dumplings.
- Bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes, until the scones are golden brown, and the fruit bubbling. Brush the dumplings again with the lemon juice mixture. Serve warm.
If using Clear Gel, make sure to mix the Clear Gel with sugar before adding to the berry mixture.