- 10 ounces dried cheese-filled tortellini (2–½ cups) or two 9-ounce packages refrigerated tortellini
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1–1/2 c. sugar snap peas, halved crosswise
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 small green sweet pepper, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. milk
- 1 Tbsp snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 Tbsp parsley, dried
- salt & pepper
- 1 – 8 ounce package cream cheese or light cream cheese (Neufchatel), cubed and softened
- 1 c. halved grape tomatoes
- 4–6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook tortellini in boiling salted water according to package directions, adding the carrot during the last 5 minutes of cooking and the sugar snap peas during the last 1 minute of cooking; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp of the butter in a 12-inch skillet. Add chicken and mushrooms, and cook about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, and slightly browned. Remove from skillet.
- Add another 2 tablespoons of butter to the empty skillet. Add diced onions and green pepper and saute until slightly soft; about 3-4 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add 2 tsp flour to the onion mixture, and mix it to make a roux. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute to cook down flour.
- Add chicken broth, milk, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper to the onion mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; add cream cheese and 2-3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese. Cook and stir until cream cheese is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add pasta mixture, chicken mixture, onion mixture, Parmesan and cherry tomatoes. Toss to coat. Turn into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish or shallow 3-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Stir mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Transport in an insulated carrier. Makes 12 main-dish servings.
You can also use this recipe with broccoli florets.