- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 c.)
- Table salt
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp)
- 1 lb. orzo
- 3–1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 c. dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 10 oz. frozen peas (about 1–3/4 c.)
- 2 oz. grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 c.)
- pinch ground nutmeg
- Ground black pepper
- Heat butter in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; when foaming subsides, add onion and 3/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until onion has softened and is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add orzo and cook, stirring frequently with heatproof rubber spatula, until most of orzo is lightly browned and golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Off heat, add vermouth and chicken broth. Return skillet to medium-high heat and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until all liquid has been absorbed and orzo is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- With rubber spatula, stir in peas, Parmesan, nutmeg, and pepper to taste. Let stand off heat until peas are heated through, about 2 minutes; adjust seasoning with salt and serve.