- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 12 Tablespoons cold butter (1 1/2 sticks), grated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- zest of lemon
- To top biscuits:
- sanding sugar
- half and half
- Mix all dry ingredients and zest in a bowl.
- Add butter and mix until resembles pebbles/pea size pieces.
- Create a hole in the center of the mixture and pour in the buttermilk.
- Mix until tacky and all incorporated, but do not over knead.
- Create “drops” of dough. Brush with half and half, and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake at 375/425 degrees F. for approximately 13-16 minutes. Makes 7-8.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins