A wonderfully not-too-sweet cookie, full of almonds and pistachios, with a distinct Anise flavor.
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 c. plus 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1–1/2 c. plus 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch salt
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 c. whole almonds (slivered can also be used)
- 1/3 c. shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 Tbsp Anise seed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment, wax paper or a Silpat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until combined. Add flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Add nuts and anise seed and mix until combined.
- Transfer dough onto floured surface and shape into a 12″ log, flattened down slightly. Transfer log onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until top lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Allow log to cool for 10 minutes. Using a serrated knife, cut on diagonal into 1/2″ thick slices.
* If twice baking is preferred, bake for an additional 12-14 minutes.