Deliciously moist, these Banana Bars are super tasty and perfect for any occasion.
- 1–1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1–3/4 cups (3 or 4) ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Browned Butter Frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- about 2–3 tablespoons milk or half and half
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour 10×15 jelly roll pan or line with parchment paper (for thicker bars use a 9×13 pan).
- Beat first four ingredients until creamy. Blend in bananas and vanilla for one minute. Add dry ingredients and blend for one minute. Stir in nuts and spread in pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool slightly until warm (but not hot), and frost with Browned Butter Frosting.
- For the Browned Butter Frosting:
- Heat butter in saucepan over medium heat past the melting point until it is boiling and a delicate brown.
- Remove from the heat and immediately add the remaining ingredients. This should be thicker than a glaze and thinner than frosting. Using a spatula smooth over the top of the Monkey Squares immediately. The frosting will be easier to spread once it’s on the warm bread.
- Category: Bars
- Cuisine: Dessert