This tasty chili is loads of beans, the delicious flavors of ground beef and sausage, and is packed with the deep flavors of chili.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- One 4-ounce can tomato paste
- One 12-ounce bottle beer
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded Cheddar, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions and peppers and saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until just fragrant. Stir in the beef and sausage, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon, and cook until browned.
- Drain the beef mixture through a colander placed over a large bowl. Add the meat back to the Dutch oven and stir in the chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste into the beef; this will “toast” it and give the chili more flavor.
- Add the beer and stir up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer, and then add the diced tomatoes and beans. Simmer on medium-low for 2 hours, stirring on occasion to keep the bottom from sticking.
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions before serving.