- 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 Tbsp Vermont Cheddar Cheese Powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour and Vermont Cheddar Cheese Powder.
- Let sit for a minute.
- Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes and some of the onion in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes, onions and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Top with some paprika for color.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F.