- 3 apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 c. butter, melted
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1–1/4 c. flour
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9″ round or square pan.
- Add melted butter and brown sugar to bottom of pan. Mix and even out on bottom of pan. Arrange sliced apples on top of brown sugar/butter mixture; sprinkle apples with cinnamon.
- In the bowl of an electric mixture, add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and mace.
- Add softened butter, milk and vanilla. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes, then add egg and beat 2 minutes more.
- Spread batter on top of apples and even out batter with the back of a spoon (batter will be thick).
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until and cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, loosen edges and invert immediately. Let cool before serving.