WOW, if you are a fan of MOIST Banana Bread, this is the recipe for you! Couple that with the yummy Browned Butter Icing, and you are in heaven! Sometimes, when you make Banana Bread, it comes out dry or overcooked, and OK, but nothing earth shattering. Not so with these Monkey Bars. The Banana Bread (aka Monkey Bars) is so moist and delicious, you won’t believe it!
The Browned Butter Icing is also super delicious. I have adapted the original recipe to cut the icing in half and made it thinner, post making these, as I would prefer the icing to be more of a glaze than a frosting. OR, you can make these Monkey Bars without any icing at all, and they’re still “over-the-top” delicious! The choice is yours. Anyway you slice it, they are a total WINNER!
I pinned this recipe to my Brownies and Bars board on Pinterest. They came from Christy’s The Girl Who Ate Everything Blog. Check out her blog. She has some great recipes, including this one. Thanks Christy, for a great recipe!
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups (3 or 4) ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Browned Butter Frosting:
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoons vanilla
- about 2-3 tablespoons milk or half and half
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour 10x15 jelly roll pan or line with parchment paper (for thicker bars use a 9x13 pan).
- Beat first four ingredients until creamy. Blend in bananas and vanilla for one minute. Add dry ingredients and blend for one minute. Stir in nuts and spread in pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool slightly until warm (but not hot), and frost with Browned Butter Frosting.
- For the Browned Butter Frosting:
- Heat butter in saucepan over medium heat past the melting point until it is boiling and a delicate brown.
- Remove from the heat and immediately add the remaining ingredients. This should be thicker than a glaze and thinner than frosting. Using a spatula smooth over the top of the Monkey Squares immediately. The frosting will be easier to spread once it's on the warm bread.