I wanted to make a cupcake worthy of our New England Patriots for the Super Bowl this year, and the only flavor I could think of was chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Don’t ask me why! So I knew I was going to start with a basic cake mix. I love the texture & , moistness of the boxed cake. I put all the ingredients listed on the box and added about 1/2 c. sour cream to the mix.
Then I wanted a light mocha filling for them, and decided on a cappuccino mousse filling. That was so delicious, I could’ve eaten the whole bowl.
The I topped with a basic chocolate frosting and added a little espresso powder, just because. Well, they came out terrific! Now we just have to win the Super Bowl for the fourth time!
GO NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS!
|Chocolate Cappuccino Cupcakes||
- 1 boxed chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients listed on the box
- 1/2 c.sour cream
- 1 Recipe Cappuccino Mousse (link above)
- 3 c. confectioners sugar
- 1/2 c. Crisco shortening
- milk to desired consistency
- 4 envelopes pre-melted semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- Make mousse ahead of time and make sure it has set the required 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix cake ingredients along with 1/2 c. sour cream as directed on box. Divide among cupcake liners, and bake as directed. Cool completely.
- Place mousse in a decorating bag with a large tip for filling. Fill each cupcake with mousse. Its hard at first to tell if or how much filling is going in to the cupcake. With boxed cake cupcakes you can see the cupcake bulge a little. You don’t want to go over board though. Be like me a hope they all come out right. After all, they are only cupcakes!
- Cream the Crisco and confectioners sugar together slightly with an electric mixer. Add pre-melted chocolate, espresso powder and milk a little at a time to desired consistency. Be careful not to make too thin, piping out of the bag will be easier, but decoration on cake will be sloppy.
- Fill decorating bag with frosting and pipe top of each cupcake with frosting.
You can make the mousse a day ahead if you like. Just cover and refrigerate. If you have extra, serve as a dessert.